Sunday, February 7, 2010

This Love of Mine

I met this guy once. I was only 14. Crushed him pretty hard. Kinda got over the crush. Then it was his turn. He did the crushing. Meanwhile, I got hurt *another story*. I did what any heart broken teenage girl would do, took advantage of his limitless kindness. I guess it was flirting. I was too numb to know the difference. So for a long time he was my free meal & a good time when I couldn't handle the pain of being alone. I allowed him to kiss me and hold my hand every now and then. I still remember the taste of that first kiss, an overkill of 3 or more pieces of winterfresh gum. Highschool ended. I left town. I don't remember seeing him much for almost a year. I was busy getting my life screwed up and running in a million and one different directions. I moved back to that small town, and got my first house. Not a week later he shows up. "Let's catch up, breakfast tomorrow". He should have known better, he's not a morning person. Breakfast ended up being dinner. We went to Asheville, some small Thai restaurant. We talked. A LOT more than we ever had before. He got up to use the restroom, and thats the moment I knew something had changed. I didn't go back to eating my dinner as I had so many times before with him...I watched him walk away. Studying his every move. Learning to memorize the way he walked. I don't know if I gave myself away when a huge smile lit up my face when I saw him walking towards me again. I felt so transparent. It felt like he could see into my chest and watch my heart sputter when he smiled back. His eyes had never seemed to blue, so endless. That night we laid in the back of his mom's truck, parked on a hill with nothing but the stars above us. Kissing till the sun came up. We were inseperable from that day on. He moved in and didn't leave until the day he was shipped off to boot camp 2 months later. During those two months we spent every day together, falling in love. Talking about everything under the sun. I followed him when the Coast Guard moved him. I said yes when he got on one knee. It's been 8 months since we were married. I'm still falling in love with him. I've learned more about myself and grown more in the years we have been together than I did wandering around trying to figure out life by myself. He is my perfect other half. He's so patient. So loving. He still looks at me like he did the day he first told me he loved me. There is nothing I have done in this life to deserve a man so wonderful. I'm truely a blessed woman. We are broke, and happy. This Valentines I don't want roses, candy, a nice dinner out, I dont want anything more than being in his arms. And our life is only just beginning together....goodie!


James Lee Abel, you're my whole world.
You are my other half. My better half.
If I had 1000 life times I couldnt give you back what you have given me.
I love you with all the love in my heart.
Thank you for choosing me.

2 comments:

Beth Layton said...

oh my gosh. first off, when i saw the link to this on your facebook and it said something about being mushy, my first thought was "oooh no. here we go. i'll read the first sentence and want to click out."

rebecca, you are a wonderful writer. that was so enjoyable to read. i am so happy for you! it's so neat to know how yall fell in love. i hope the two of you have a wonderful valentines day :) and keep writing!

Alaythea said...

Ah, that was so sweet, Becca! I'm so glad you are happy now. And not that unrealistic happy but that the true joy that comes from loving someone whole heartedly. So often we think that what makes us happy is BEING loved, that's wonderful too but I've found I'm truly the happiest when I just concentrate on loving Beej. Then he does the same for me and we are both fulfilled! I'm always here to talk with you or just listen! Thanks for always being friend even though we are so different a lot of times, you have never turned your back on me and I love you for it!!!!

Followers